Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Author Cage: Author Stephan Morsk steps into the cage today.

He Banner 450 x 169

Today in author cage we have Stephan Morsk for an interview. Stephan is the author of today’s book blast HE: A sexual Odyssey. We would like to thank Stephan for stopping by and sharing with us.

 

 

Authorcage

Welcome to Darkest Cravings, tell us a little bit about yourself?

Thanks. I’m a mental health professional who’s been writing daily for about 15 years. I’ve won awards (a 7th and an 8th place in a Writer’s Digest Contest out of a field of 19,000), published short stories and won honorable mentions. I love writing, writers, and the whole craft of authorship, the mystique and irascibility of the ‘auteur’. Unfortunately they’re far too anonymous these days. I grew up in the 60’s when you could see Truman Capote, Gore Vidal, Norman Mailer (my favorite author) and many others on talk shows. They had a presence, held stature. I yearn for those days.

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

When I won the above awards. I thought, I can do this. Yet, a lot of those early days was aping others.

Writing adult fiction isn’t for everyone, how did you end up writing for the toughest audience?

It poured naturally out of my denatured soul. I call my genre ‘mysteroticom’ combining mystery with comedy and erotica. Nobody else is doing it, at least, not the way I do. It evolved naturally from everything else I did. By the way, I don’t necessarily subscribe to the label ‘adult fiction’. Writing is writing in my book and should be judged on its own merits. For example, was Roth’s ‘Portnoy’s Complaint’ adult fiction? How about John Updike’s ‘Villages’? My copy has about thirty nudes on the cover. The boundaries seem inchoate, vague. Nobody called Mailer’s ‘American Dream’ adult fiction yet in one part he tosses his wife off a balcony then goes downstairs and has anal sex with the maid. I rest my case.

Most of the intimidating parts of being an adult fiction writer is the steamy scenes, how did you overcome the “stage fright”?

Never had any. I write what I enjoy. Sex and humor and a good mystery are all part of it.

Which fictional character would you like to go on a date with? Why?

Lolita.

What was the first adult fiction novel that you read? What was your reaction?

I love literature period, sexy or flaccid, somnambulistic or pulp ejaculatory. Doesn’t matter. Read Erica Jong’s ‘Fear of Flying’. There’s plenty of skin in it, but that’s not what it is about. Remember the ‘zipless fuck?’ I’m dating myself.

Your favorite adult fiction book is-?

“HE: A Sexual Odyssey”. Sorry to be so self-aggrandizing.

Your favorite Author is-

Norman Mailer. Read ‘American Dream’ or ‘Tough Guys Don’t Dance.’ Pure, gritty genre.

We all have a treasured possession, what is yours?

My penis. (All my protagonists have humongous organs. Am I overcompensating or what?)

Are your characters based on real people or did you create them from scratch?

They’re amalgams of real and illusory. I start with a physical image culled from my life, TV, movies or the news media. Then I inject the quintessential personality, often playfully hot in young women and desperately comic in the face of megalithic karma in guys. My male protagonists are all awed by feminine potency, lust lashed, pussy whipped (but not wimpy) flawed desperados in search of feminine salvation.

Do you think adult fiction have reached its full potential yet, or are we still in for a huge surprise?

I think it’s yawing into mainstream and the evidence is all over the place. ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ is becoming Hollywoodized. I think ‘HE:A Sexual Odyssey’ is the male counterpart of that female sexualogue.

Do you think adult fiction helps improves relationships?

It can. I shudder at the depths of repression that exists in some circles. I also cringe at the joyous openness that exists all around. The good ol’ US of A is creaking along its libidinal fault lines. Bravo and watch out. I hope to be riding the crest of that lava tinged tsunami.

If you have to pitch adult fiction to someone that’s too shy to read it, what would you pitch?

You’re reading literature. Literature is about life and life involves sex. The best art encompasses the full spectrum. Let’s not be squeamish simply because we’re uncomfortable. If you’re uncomfortable it behooves you ask, why?

What is your motto?

Happen. Barring that, have a nice sandwich in life. A little mustard wouldn’t hurt either.

If you would like to find out more about this amazing author, check out the book blast below.

2 comments:

  1. Many thanks for allowing me to introduce myself and my work on Darkest Cravings. I'll check back later to see if there are any comments. Stephan Morsk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for allowing me to grace your pages. I hope you'll give my work a serious look. Stephan Morsk

    ReplyDelete