Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

Author Cage ~ Author Maureen Willett, joins us for an interview.

Authorcage

Today in author cage we have today’s book blast, The Soul Stealer author Maureen Willett with us. We would like to thank Maureen for stopping by today and getting into our cage for a fun interview. Here we go.

 

Welcome to Darkest Cravings, tell us a little bit about yourself?

I live in Hawaii, work full-time, am a mother, so I’m busy, but I still make time for my passion: writing.

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

From the time I was in third grade. I’ve always known it’s my calling, but I needed to experience life before I could do it well.

Writing adult fiction isn’t for everyone, how did you end up writing for the toughest audience?

My characters always fall in love, and with that comes passion. It’s not real if there isn’t sex and seduction along with the romance. If two people are in love, they have hot sex. It’s not always easy writing an intimate scene, but it’s a lot of fun.

Most of the intimidating parts of being an adult fiction writer is the steamy scenes, how did you overcome the “stage fright”?

Writing, rewriting, then having my girlfriends and sister read it. If it gets their blood stirring, then I know I’m on the right track. It’s intimidating to sit down and start to write a sex scene, and often I get interrupted by life and have to set it aside. Once I go back, I reread the start of the scene to see if it still works for me, or not. You can’t get bogged down with too many technical details. Better to leave it to the imagination.

Which fictional character would you like to go on a date with? Why?

My anti-hero in The Soul Stealer, Andrew Le Fey. He’s a hot, sexy, bisexual fae, and he can’t help but try to seduce anyone he comes in contact with. He’s also 400 years old but looks like he’s 30. He must have learned a lot over that many centuries, so it’d no doubt be exciting to spend an evening with him.

What was the first adult fiction novel that you read? What was your reaction?

It seems to be a newer genre, but I’ve been reading novels with hot sex scenes since adolescence. They just weren’t called adult fiction. The first I read in the genre was one of Anne Rice’s, The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty. I was hooked.

Your favorite adult fiction book is-?

I’m not sure. I have to be in the mood.

Your favorite Author is-?

Diana Gabaldon, who wrote the Outlander series. The only books I keep on my shelf.

We all have a treasured possession, what is yours?

I have a watch that my mother wore back in the 1950s. I keep it safely hidden.

Are your characters based on real people or did you create them from scratch?

Basically from scratch, but they all have elements of people I’ve seen or observed and found interesting.

Do you think adult fiction have reached its full potential yet, or are we still in for a huge surprise?

There’s always room for surprises in any genre of fiction, although they are few and far between.

Do you think adult fiction helps improves relationships?

I think it’s healthy to fantasize, no matter what sort of relationship you’re in. Let’s face it, monogamous relationships get boring once in awhile, so you need a great imagination to spice it up. Reading adult fiction can give you ideas for things you might like to try with your partner. Nothing wrong with that as long as you’re involved with a person who’s game.

If you have to pitch adult fiction to someone that’s too shy to read it, what would you pitch?

I’d buy a book for that person and set it in front of them. Then, I’d tell them to read it when they’re alone and have some time to spend, because they won’t want to put it down once they get started. I’d also recommend reading a chapter before a date night.

What is your motto?

Go hard, or go home.

To find out more about Maureen and her book The Soul Stealer, check out today’s book blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment